Depression is one of the most common mental illnesses in the world. With general symptoms of fatigue, sadness, and hopelessness, the revelation of the disorder can vary among different people. Smiling depression may vary with different reason one of it is dental problem like gum damage and oral problem that might lead to low esteem of smiling. Smiling depression is a disorder whereby someone is depressed in the inside while appearing to have a happy and fulfilling life to the outside world. People hide their internal turmoils due to a common belief that portraying depression symptoms is a sign of weakness. Therefore, the victims keep their struggle to themselves and appear to live healthy lives.
The risk factors of the disorder are:
- Critical life changes: they can be breakups or job loss.
- Unrealistic expectations: holding high standards for yourself can prompt depression.
- Social media: people tend to portray happy lives on social media. This can make others seem like they are living less fulfilling lives.
- Fear of judgment: the victim may not express his or her depression to the public since they are afraid of being stigmatized.
People who suffer from the depression appear content and happy to others. Therefore it may be hard for the public to notice that they are indeed suffering from the disease whose symptoms are;
•Lack of self-esteem
•Loss of interest in hobbies and other pleasurable activities
•Loss of appetite, sleep, and weight
•Difficulties in concentrating
Treatment and management
There are various ways through which you can ease symptoms of the illness.
- Therapy: Consulting a therapist can help identify distorted thoughts and change them to more positive ones.
- Socializing: A lively face to face conversation with other people can help you ease depressive moods.
- Taking a healthy diet: Depression is linked to low levels of serotonin. Thus, you should try taking foods that improve its production. They include vegetables, whole grains, sweet potatoes, and oats.
- Try exercises: Exercises have been proved to be elemental in improving one’s mood. You can attend gym sessions or do some yoga exercises at home.
- Acupuncture: It’s a medication-free treatment which when combined with counseling can effectively treat depression.
It’s hard to recognize that someone is suffering from smiling depression. The depressed victim may seem to live a normal life but struggling deep inside them. It’s a critical disorder that can even prompt suicidal thoughts. Once you realize someone is suffering from the problem, advice them to consult a therapist for counseling. It can also be managed by exercising regularly, eating a healthy diet, and having a positive outlook towards life.